Let's face it, our parents and grandparents are getting older. We worry about our elderly family members regardless if they're at a care facility or not. If you have elderly family members who either live alone or with you, there are things you can do to help them with incontinence.
Incontinence Is Nothing To Be Embarrassed About
First of all, be patient and understanding if a loved one you know has to frequent the bathroom. Frequent urination, as well as accidents, are one of the first signs that there might be a bladder control issue. Recognizing the symptoms is key to helping them seek treatment. Over 50 percent of seniors either in long-term care or living at home are incontinent. This means that nearly 13 million people within the U.S., 85 percent being women have bladder control issues.
Having an incontinence problem, whether it’s a mild leak or a more serious bladder control issue, is nothing to be ashamed about. There are ways, however, that you can help your elderly mom, dad, or grandparent. Beyond ensuring that frequent bathroom breaks are in order, there are things that one can do to help quell symptoms rather than exacerbate them.
5 Ways To Prevent Leaks
Teaching your loved one tools can help tame their bladder control problem.
1. Do encourage pelvic floor exercises. Pelvic exercises is said to improve bladder leaks. Have your elder loved one consider a qualified physical therapist to aide with this.
2. Nudge your loved one to quit smoking. Studies show that smoking makes coughs worse and coughing adds strain to the pelvic floor muscle encouraging leaks.
3. Yes, the elderly loved one in your life wants to be independent, but have them avoid heavy lifting. Lifting heavy things tends to add strain on the pelvic floor muscle.
4. Cheer them on to lose a few pounds, because carrying around extra pounds adds strain on the pelvic floor muscle especially fatty tissue.
5. Suggest that he or she drink more water and cut down on alcohol and caffeine. Both alcohol and caffeine make incontinence much worse.
Remain Supportive & Trust Veeda
Avoid getting frustrated and try to refrain from treating your loved one with incontinence like a child. Encourage them to take necessary actions to reduce accidents. Having a supportive attitude goes a long way. Finally, buying them reliable incontinence protection can show them you care and are a part of the solution.
Veeda is a natural incontinence product line that offers mild to heavy bladder leak protection without synthetics and harsh chemicals. Conventional bladder protection brands tend to be made with unnatural, chemical-laden ingredients often creating a new set of health issues such as skin irritations. Veeda hypoallergenic incontinence underwear, pads, and liners for women and men are made with natural ingredients and safe for sensitive skin. Our natural incontinence line is dermatologically tested and are free from latex, fragrance or chlorine. Just like you'd like to be positive for the one you love experiencing bladder leaks, we're also here to be a supportive, healthier and yet just as affordable as an incontinence solution.
Medical Disclaimer: Articles are intended for informational purposes only and should not be used as the basis of patient treatment. Ask your medical professional if you have any health-related questions or concerns.